Posted: 24.03.20 at 23:27 by The Editor
Shoppers at Oakham Co-op are being asked to ‘co-operate’ with the retailer's new social distancing measures to help keep each other safe.
Central England Co-op has put in place a set of new rules for anyone who enters its shops in line with Government recommendations to help safeguard colleagues and everyone else around them.
The new measures include:
- Stores only using every other till point or checkout to keep customers and colleagues a safe distance apart
- Special markings installed in front of till points and checkouts of at least one metre. If a customer needs to enter this area to set down a basket or use the keypad, staff will move backwards to maintain a safe distance
- Special markings installed to show two metre safe distances while queueing at till points
- Customers asked to pay with card or contactless if possible
- Specialist cleaning products used to regularly wipe down countertops, chip and pin machines and ATMs
- Special markings installed throughout stores to show customers two metre spacing and shoppers are asked to maintain these distances
- Store managers given discretion to limit the number of customers allowed in stores at any time to ensure social distancing measures are adhered to. Additional security guards are being deployed to help support this new policy
- Special markings installed outside stores so customers queuing to enter maintain safe distances of two meters
There is also a temporary purchase limit of two of every product to help maintain stock levels, with the Co-op reassuring customers there are no issues with its robust supply lines and that shops are receiving daily deliveries.
Debbie Robinson, Central England Co-op Chief Executive, said: “Nothing is more important to us all at Central England Cooperative than the safety of our colleagues and customers.
“We’re closely following Government advice in our approach to social distancing and have now rolled out a range of new measures for our stores.
“We now ask all of our customers to co-operate with these measures to keep us all safe and allow us to continue to serve our communities.”
Central England Co-op is also asking all customers to show ‘care, compassion and respect’ to its colleagues as they work around the clock to serve their communities.